No charges filed against City College student protesters

|
(19)
Dimitrios Philliou, left, and Otto Pippenger, right, in front of 850 Bryant.
Photo courtesy of AFT 2121

The two formerly jailed City College student protesters can now breathe a sigh of relief, as this morning they learned that the District Attorney's Office won't be filing criminal charges against them.

Otto Pippenger, 20, and Dimitrios Philliou, 21, were detained by SFPD following a violent clash during a City College protest last Thursday. Their ideological and physical fight for democracy at their school is also the subject of one of our print articles in this week’s Guardian. Philliou’s attorney confirmed to the Guardian that charges were not pursued by the District Attorney’s Office.

“The charges have been dropped for now, in terms of the criminal case,” said Rachel Lederman, president of the San Francisco chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, which is representing Philliou. 

But, she noted, they’re not out of the fire yet. 

“The fight is not over for them,” she said, “as it’s possible they’ll face school discipline.”

Heidi Alletzhauser, Pippenger’s mother, told the Guardian that Vice Chancellor Faye Naples indicated the two would face some sort of disciplinary hearing, though Naples told Alletzhauser that Pippenger would not be expelled.

We called Napes to confirm, but did not hear back from her, and we'll update this post if and when we do. 

Alletzhauser was concerned that the Chancellor Arthur Q. Tyler publicly pointed a finger at the two boys, shaming them for their actions in a letter he penned to the community and to the press. “I am saddened to see students engaging in violent outbursts,” he wrote. The letter as a whole seems to cast a shadow of blame on the protesters. 

“It sounded to me like they were sure Otto and Dimitrios were guilty,” Alletzhauser said.

The school hearing has not yet been confirmed. Alletzhauser was happy to see her son and Dimitrios get back to school.

“They both had classes at 10, so they went to school,” she said. “Which is adorable, I think.”

Comments

This is indeed good news for the protesters!

Regarding other news involving law enforcement, here's the latest on the SFPD and the Chron's photos from a public restroom. From my blog:

http://tinyurl.com/kg9tbu9

In response to my complaint last week to Chief of Police Greg Suhr, requesting a criminal investigation into whether SF Chronicle staff photographer Lea Suzuki violated state penal code 647(j)(1) prohibiting the taking of photos in public restrooms, this note arrived today. It came from Sgt. Anthony Damato of the Special Investigations Division down at the Hall of Justice:

"I am the Inspector that has been assigned to this case. Please note I will be handling the criminal aspect of the case, and not any violation of library rules. I understand your concerns, and will research whether a law was violated. If you have any information that would be helpful please feel free to contact me."

You may recall that on March 9, the Chronicle's Heather Knight penned an article about efforts to have stronger enforcement of and enhanced penalties against patrons of the main library at Civic Center. Accompanying her article were two photos of homeless women changing their clothes in the public restroom, along with a female janitor in one of the images.

I'm not sure if was ironic or hypocritical, or both, for the paper to violate two library code of conduct rules themselves and potentially break the law to call for stronger rules and penalties for others who violate the code or law.

Let's see how the SFPD investigation plays out.

Posted by MPetrelis on Mar. 19, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

And they should feel lucky.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 19, 2014 @ 12:46 pm

Pippenger should get an A in his labor studies class for be arrested.

Posted by guest on Mar. 19, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

... because with that kind of grammar, you would've gotten an F in your English class there.

Posted by Greg on Mar. 19, 2014 @ 9:42 pm

get you laid in womans studies classes?

Posted by guest on Mar. 19, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

Having learned English as a second language, it always amazes me when native-born monolingual speakers can't even speak or write in one language correctly. How do these people get through life?

Of course these are the same people who then turn around and rant about immigrants. But that's another story.

Posted by Greg on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 8:05 am

With a name like Greg?

Still, explains your anti-Americanism. You're an immigrant.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 8:40 am

I have mentioned on several occasions that I'm not a native-born citizen. But I never mentioned where I'm from. You automatically assume I'm Hispanic for whatever reason, but for all you know I could be Indonesian, Polish, Cambodian, Moroccan, Kenyan, Persian, Israeli, whatever. Or maybe I am Latino. And maybe I'm not.

First names mean little. If someone told you their name is say Leland, Ed, David, or Phil, would that give you any clue as to where they're actually from?

Nor does my immigrant status explain anything about my belief system, which I would not characterize as anti-American either.

All baseless assumptions that say more about your biases than they do about me. And why this obsession with me anyway? My ideas stand on their own, regardless of my background.

Posted by Greg on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 9:19 pm

from Greg.

Posted by guest on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

Yes! Finallly someone writes about 1.

Posted by china info At wikipedia on Aug. 05, 2014 @ 7:43 am

As a proud City College graduate myself, I am happy to see these two young men carrying on the schools tradition of activism.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Mar. 19, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

They were also heard to mention that the sex they had while incarcerated was the best sex of their lives.

Posted by Chromefields on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 6:10 am

With a patented "easy glide" double-strength outer skin in a variety of aromas.

My personal favorite is the apricot and sandalwood.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 6:53 am

Jason Grant Garza ... great ... now my question is whether or not the SFPD and Sheriff will be investigated for excessive force, abuse under the color of authority and assault ( Wasn't one hit in the back of the head?) Without this accountability the ability continues. You see this is a common pattern when officals violate your rights ... send their goons to intimidate and bully ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cP3jCmJFRo&list=TL2kSRURyYhsddVqNlHeNMr... or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCuMwXVxADk or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpLZ9-HA6C8 and when you follow up and press charges or hold accountable ... you get thrown into a rigged system (see the Occ videos under Jason Garza in youtube) or the DA office tells you THEY do NOT care about your legal rights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eN41g_veF8 and if you try to follow up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zot6w6eVntU . I certainly hope the fight is not over and officals are held accountable; however, after watching my videos you will know the IMPOSSIBILTY. What a lesson learned ... Rigged is as Rigged does and DO NOT expect HUMANITY ... look ... here SF broke the law in 2001, had my case dismissed in 2003 with testilying and fraud in 2003 ( federal court C02-3485PJH) only to sign a confession in 2007 admitting fault and guilt with the Office of Inspector General http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html yet leaving its innocent vindicated victim for DEAD and the law breaking just continues. It is 2014 and NO ONE from DPH, the courts, Sheriff or SFPD or better yet the city attorney have explained much less made me whole. Learn the GAMES, watch the INHUAMNITY and tell other .... however, at least these students have seen the INSIDE of the process they use ... now shall we see change and accountability or will there just be a settlement admitting no fault and guilt thereby NO CHANGE?

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 6:46 am

commit suicide and get it over with?

Posted by Guest on Mar. 23, 2014 @ 7:52 pm

Whose turn is it to sponge-bathe Jason Grant Garza?

(checks schedule)

Marke B! You're up!

Posted by Chromefields on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 10:31 am

Just make sure you don't take a picture of it in the bathroom or Petrelis will start screaming for an investigation.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 20, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

Somehow it's turned back to HIM, not these two young men.

Posted by GuestShariLewis&Lambchops on Mar. 23, 2014 @ 7:40 pm

Jason Grant Garza here ... my thanks goes out to you for you like others would rather hid from the truth and not connect the dots in what I am saying and would rather make fun, demean or ridicule as a diversion from the truth. The unfortunate sadists who parrot sycophantically for the system are by all true definitions of a sociopath ( as defined by the dictionary ... " a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience. ") When the undeniable truth shows up ... they make fun, twist events and meanings and often from the shadows ( at least I use my name to spread the truth. ) Sociopaths unlike myself do not have signed confessions http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html or over 300 videos at youtube under Jason Garza proving his statements. Apparently according to Lambchops my signed confession by the city and county of San Francisco and truth telling is NOT moral responsibility or social conscience ....but then again Snowden has the same hatred ... I am in GOOD company.

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on Mar. 24, 2014 @ 6:11 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Related articles

• Student protesters file claim against City College and SF citing injuries, defamation

• Student pepper sprayed and two arrested at City College protest UPDATED

• It's a trap

City College's accreditors offer the school a way out, but their past actions raise doubts whether they can be trusted

• Also from this author

• Messed up: Did this man vandalize Alejandro Nieto's memorial?

• San Francisco's shame and triumph: remembering the I-Hotel

• Mayoral meltdown

Mayor Ed Lee pushes back against ballot measures for affordable housing, transportation funding