Strong drum beats, hip shimmies laden with bells and voices coming together in song. This show has it all. Presenting "Dance + Diaspora" two performances this Friday and Saturday -- pics above are from the dress rehearsal -- by choreographers Jill Parker (with her Foxglove Sweethearts troupe) and Tania Santiago (with her Movendo con Capoeira troupe) -- a showcase of steamy belly dancing and heart-pumping Capoeria.
The belly dance performance includes solos, but is a mainly a group dance, with multiple belly rolls and wrist rotations happening in unison by all the dancers. Their piece also includes live music, like some pretty great clarinet and double-reeded zurna tunes. After intermission, the mood shifts and takes you to Brazil, for an energizing Capoeira piece, mixing both incredible acrobatics and traditional Afro-Brazilian folk dance. The show as a whole is a wonderful combination of music and dance, creating a true cultural dance experience.
Dance + Diaspora, Fri/22 and Sat/23
A taste of Jill Parker and the Foxglove Sweethearts
Most Commented On
- Just pointing out that your statement wasn't logical. - May 21, 2013
- Proving my point - May 21, 2013
- You sound like a television - May 21, 2013
- Greg, I know someone who works at UCSF and they get - May 21, 2013
- No, this 2-day "discomfort" will solve nothing because - May 21, 2013
- If the UCSF profit had been less, it would have been more than - May 21, 2013
- Here's another metaphor. - May 21, 2013
- Ideology always trumps necessity with aomeone like Greg. - May 21, 2013
- Yes, DB pensions are what ruined GM and several other - May 21, 2013
- Greg, again with the "yellow peril" bullshit? - May 21, 2013